Friday, July 29, 2011

July Writing Craze: Day 29!!

Hey everyone!! Day 29, here we go!


Chapter Twelve:  Velvet
Expert’s Luck

            “Have you seen my white sweater?”  Yori asked, digging through her drawers, flinging a piece of clothing here and there.
            “No, I didn’t take that one.  Actually, I’ve never seen it.  Check under the bed,”  Velvet responded, lacing up her hardcore tennis shoes.
            “Katie thinks we’ve given in, Brody’s making the call to Martin, and everyone in the camp knows about mission HD,”  Yori said, crouching to the floor to hunt down her white sweater.
            “HD?”
            “Havoc Day!”  Yori said, pulling out her suitcase to check for her white sweater in there.
            “I hope Martin agrees to come,”  Velvet commented, straightening her white socks.
            “Me too, it would be really great if he could.  But…if he can’t, there’s always Plan B,”  Yori mentioned, stringing out her white sweater from her suitcase.
            “Which is?”
            “Let the press pick up the out of control mayhem and let it travel, grapevine style, to Martin.  If Martin hears about it through a mess of opposing and rivalry camp chains, he’ll be so madly embarrassed, he’ll have no insane reason not to fire Katie,”  Yori explained, shrugging into the attire.
            “That’s genius,”  Velvet said, impressed.
            “Thank you.  And look, I found my sweater.”
            “I see that.  Left it in your suitcase?  Why do you need it anyway?”
            “It’s my going away sweater.  Whenever I leave someplace I like, I wear it,”  Yori said.
            “You like Camp Sing-Song?”
            “You’re here, aren’t you?”
            “Wait, but if you wear it, don’t you think it’ll be bad luck?  I mean, then the world might think you’re actually going away and the plan will fall through,”  Velvet mused aloud, praying to the superstitious gods her jinxing thoughts wouldn’t pursue.
            “You’re getting anxious, Velvet.  Obviously, you’ve never been the trouble-maker anywhere before,”  Yori responded.
            “Never in my life.”
            “Welcome… you’ll have fun,”  Yori replied, smiling.  Velvet rolled her eyes and hope that Yori was right.
            “Have we been up here long enough to make Katie think we’re packed?”
            “I guess so…we should intercept her mail to Martin anyway,”  Yori said, looking around the room to see if she forgot anything.  Her long eyelashes swept across the room like an eagle’s graceful wings.
            “Lucky girl with the long eyelashes,”  Velvet said, crossing her arms across her chest in mock despise.
            “These brittle things?  Please!  At least you have thin eyebrows, mine could not get bushier,”  Yori complained, turning around to compliment Velvet.
            “Never thought about my eyebrows…I’m gonna run to the bathroom before we head out, okay?”
            “Sure,”  Yori said, kicking her suitcase back underneath her bed.  Velvet headed towards the green curtain, waggling her toes in her slightly tight shoes, looking down to see if her toes had enough room.  As he eyes reached her feet, Velvet noticed something out of the corner of her eye.  A half sheet of shredded-edged paper peered at Velvet in the corner of the room.  Velvet bent down, picked it up, and deciphered what it said. 

Yori,
                        I hope I got your camp address right.
Yori at Camp Singing, STOP READING.  Thanks.  Any,
 about everything going on at home.  But, either wa
 can’t have girl drama in my life, to be frank and st
            Later,
                        Steve

“Hey, sorry about your boyfriend,”  Velvet said, shaking the paper in her hand to explain to Yori.  Yori looked over at Velvet, at the paper, and then back to Velvet.
            “Forget about it.  Like you said, I don’t need scummy dirt like him in my life,”  Yori said, a twinkling in her wink.
            “I don’t think I said it exactly like that…”  Velvet said, tapping her chin and throwing the paper to the ground once more.  “Oh, Yori?”
            “Yeah?”
            “Was your mom really in Europe?” 
            “Europe? …Oh…no, she’s been at home.  I never called her actually, I was just making a spectacle, I guess.  I needed some space and I needed a reason.  I’m not here for my college apps either.”
            “No?”
            “Nope.  I’m here because my mom wanted me to get away for the summer since we hadn’t heard from my dad for a while.  Since we were getting worried, my mom made me go and do something to keep my mind off of it.”
            “I see…”
            “Plus, I’ve already gotten into UCSD,”  Yori bragged, smiling proudly.
            “No way!  I’m heading there myself!”  Velvet remarked.
            “Are you serious?  What are you majoring in?”
            “Elementary education, you?”
            “Fashion and Design,”  Yori replied.
            “Amazing!  What a freaky, but good, coincidence.  Hey, I’m gonna run to the bathroom and then we can meet up with the others and plan the next move,”  Velvet commented.


Heading down the pavement, Velvet couldn’t help but wonder if Yori would Matt a chance.  Matt had obviously been trying to get Yori’s attention for the past week, with no avail, and now that Yori was renewing herself, maybe Matt could be in Yori’s line of vision.  The only way to find out was to ask.
            “Yori, do you like Matt?”
            “Matt?!”  Yori exclaimed, looking up from her black flats to Velvet.
            “Why not?  He’s nice and smart and fun.  You should give him a chance,”  Velvet said, aiming to persuade Yori.
            “Hey, I never said no.”  Velvet let out an excited yelp.  That was a yes!  It had to be a yes!!  They would be the cutest couple, flirty and princess-y matched with clever and astute. 
            “You two would be sooo cute together!”  Velvet couldn’t help but blurt out, covering her mouth, trying to smother her exhilarated emotions.
            “Just don’t say anything, okay?  I don’t want him to think I’m the dumb, prissy girls,”  Yori pressed, looking firmly at Velvet, but a tint of a smile on her lips.
            “Of course not.  Of course not.  Of course…maybe I’ll just hint!”  Velvet said and bolted.  She sped down the pavement, attempting to see what was going on around her as she whizzed past people and games.  Velvet could hear Yori only footsteps behind her.  Where was Matt?  Where was Matt?!
            “Velvet!  Yori!”  Brody called out before Velvet could find Matt.  Velvet hurried to a stop and waved to Brody.  Yori screeched to a halt, close behind Velvet.
            “Did you get hold of Martin?”  Yori asked, her eyes eager.
            “Yes, I told him it was a counselor decision that we wanted him there.  And I reminded him that the press would be there, hoping to speak to a person in charge!  He said he’d be able to fly in at noon.  He’ll come right when the press will be arriving,”  Brody answered.
            “All right!!”  Yori cried out.
            “We’ll have to get the havoc rolling quick, then, because Katie will be making sure me and you, Yori, will be goners before then.  We’re gonna have to be on the run around noon,”  Velvet said worriedly.  It would be a close shave, if it didn’t turn into a shave at all.  Velvet looked at Yori and noticed a flicker of flinch in her expression.
            “You’re right…we won’t be able to organize the havoc then,”  Yori commented, disappointed.
            “Me and Matt will get it going then,”  Brody offered.
            “You might need to…I hope there’ll be time for me and you, Velvet, to create mayhem, too, though…”  Yori thought out loud, obviously concerned.  Yori must be really invested in her trouble making by the looks of it.
            “We’ll make time…if you excuse me, I need to talk to Matt!”  Velvet broke out and made a mad dash for it.  She heard a fake-frustrated outcry, but no footsteps.  After a few yards, Velvet stopped and turned around.  Back at the original spot, Yori and Brody were there, talking.  Brody was nodding his head while Yori talked and then Yori looked intent on listening while Brody spoke.  Lastly, Yori and Brody hugged and smiled a friendly smile at each other.  Velvet hurried back to the two, hoping the two didn’t mean a couple.
            “Don’t worry, Velvet.  We were just resolving things,”  Yori said when Velvet reached them.
            “Okay…”  Velvet replied, skeptically for a laugh.  Pointing at a piece of paper Brody held in his hand, Velvet asked, “What’s that?”
            “This?”  Brody asked, holding up a sealed envelope.  “Katie’s mail.  When she caught me in her office right when I hung up, I told her I was looking for something for Jane.  She believed me and I guess thought I was talking about this mail.  It’s addressed to…oh!  Martin King, how funny.”
            “Martin?”  Yori asked, snatching the envelope from Brody.  She started ripping it open and peeling the papers from inside.
            “Don’t open it,”  Velvet protested, concern edging at her shoulders where her emotions rested.
            “These are our suspension papers, Velvet.  Katie must have just filled them out already!  Brody, thanks a bunch for taking this.  I’m gonna go hide it in our room,”  Yori exclaimed and without another word, hurried to cabin 2A.
            “That was pretty lucky, I guess,”  Brody commented as him and Velvet walked to the dock where Velvet remembered Matt saying he would be.
            “You know what else is lucky?  Yori likes Matt,”  Velvet gossiped, excitement barely able to contain itself.  A brief moment of surprise passed before they both took off running to tell Matt.  To tell Matt his summer camp dream had come true.

All right! Thanks for reading today!
And remember guys:  Your comfort zone, when writing, doesn't always have to be maintained.  Step outside of it.  Meaning, try a genre you never thought you would do before, write in old English, do some research on the time you are writing in, develop a character that is a little deeper than would first seem.  Just give it a try, no pressure or deadline!
ABC 123,
                Maddie

2 comments:

  1. Suspense is building. I can hardly wait for the next installment, but I'll miss Yori and Velvet when the story ends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot woot!! Go Tritons!!! I'll be classmates with Vel-Vel and Yor-Yor! Awesome entry.

    ReplyDelete